Tuesday, January 20, 2009

White Noise by Don DeLillo


White Noise by Don DeLillo tells the story of Jack Gladney, a middle-aged professor of Hitler Studies (a department that he himself created). He lives in suburbia and is married to his fourth wife, Babette, with whom he has a large blended family. After being exposed to an "airborne toxic event" Jack develops an intense fear of death.

I liked this book, but I've found it difficult to approach. There are a lot of "ideas" in the book and even though I put it in air quotes I don't think that it's a bad thing. The title refers to the white noise resulting from a consumerist society. Also a majority of the book is focused on discussing Jack and other characters' fears of death. Although there are serious themes in the book, overall the book is written in a satirical fashion and it is comical though not laugh-out-loud funny.

I liked the book. It was a quick read. It was interesting. But, in general, I'm just not passionate about it. This is the first book of DeLillo's that I've read. Some of his other books sound really interesting, so I'll probably read one of those at some point. I just really don't have much to say on this book.

No comments: